Friday, March 5, 2010

Sleep


I have been so tired lately. Last weekend I went to bed early both nights and even took a nap on Saturday, which I never ever do. There were points last weekend when I just could not stay awake any longer.

Apparently, I am not alone. My friend Caroline recently also wrote about exhaustion on her blog, I guess we have had similar thoughts lately, since I did all this research earlier this week, but hadn't had time to write this yet haha.

I think March can be a really hard month, because its the tail end of winter, and this winter has been long and hard.

I did some research on sleep and found out a lot of interesting tips for sleeping better and getting the most out of sleep. I am one of those people who just pushes on and on until I am falling down dead tired. Hopefully, I can try to make resting more of a priority.

Here are some interesting sleep facts for women:

  • 68% of American women admit to sleeping less than recommended average of eight hours per night.
  • Women living in the populous Northeast and West Coast have the more trouble sleeping than people in other regions.
  • 26% of women report trouble sleeping at least once a week compared to only 16% of men
  • 19% of individuals ages 45-64 admit to losing sleep due to stress a few nights per week
These are some tips that I fund at the Better Sleep Council Web site:
  1. Make sleep a priority by keeping a consistent sleep (bedtime) and wake schedule, including weekends
  2. Create a bedtime routine that is relaxing. Experts recommend reading a book, listening to soothing music or soaking in a hot bath.
  3. Transform your bedroom into a haven of comfort. Create a room that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool for the best possible sleep.
  4. Evaluate your mattress and pillow to ensure proper comfort and support. If your mattress is five to seven years old, it may be time for a new one. In general, pillows should be replaced every year.
  5. Keep work materials, computers and televisions out of the bedroom; it should be used for sleep and sex only.
  6. Exercise regularly, but complete workouts at least two hours before bedtime.
  7. If you sleep with a partner, your mattress should allow each of you enough space to move easily. Couples who've been sleeping on a "double" (full size) may think they have enough room, until they learn that each person has only as much sleeping space as a baby's crib!
  8. Avoid nicotine (e.g., cigarettes, tobacco products). Used close to bedtime, it can lead to poor sleep.
  9. Avoid caffeine and alcohol (e.g., coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate) close to bedtime. It can keep you awake.
  10. Finish eating at least two to three hours before bedtime.
There is more information here, as well as a lot of answers to questions about sleep.

http://www.bettersleep.org/onbettersleep/faqs.asp#SS2

1 comment: