Thursday, March 25, 2010

On Creativity

I think that working the 9 to 5 grind in a cubicle can sometimes...or always...suck the life out of you. Some days it feels like you are slowly dying, or at least your soul is haha...er or maybe I am the only one that feels this way. So it got me thinking recently about creativity, and I naturally googled creativity, since I sit at a desk all day and therefore google everything that pops into my head throughout the day. Anyway, I found some good tips and interesting ideas of ways to keep your creativity alive. For those that work in an office, or just want some new ideas, here is what I found.

21 Ways to Be More Creative

(I encourage you to click the link above to read the descriptions for each of these ideas.)

1 – Stop watching television

2 – Take a 20-minute walk everyday

3 – Write with pen & paper (or pencil and paper)

4 – Write songs to your pets

5 – Dance around the House

6 – Walk in the rain

7 – Make a collage

8 – Make a list of things you love

9 – Write 10 postcards

10 – Get up early and watch the sun rise

11 – Listen to music you’ve never listened to before.

12 – Eat with your hands

13 – Be quiet

14 – Take a nap

15 – Take photos. Real photos. Not digital photos.

16 – Make an event out of watching the full moon come up

17 – Read poetry aloud

18 – Go see a play or live music or live anything

19 – Visit a gallery

20 – Write a letter

21 – Stop watching television (Yes this one was repeated for its importance)

I also found another 100 ideas for ways to explore your creativity. I won't list them all here because there are 100 of them, but you can find the entire list here.

http://www.kerismith.com/funstuff/100ideas.htm

Some of the unique suggestions include:

  • Go for a walk. Draw or list things you find on the the sidewalk.
  • Glue an envelope into your journal. For one week collect items you find on the street.
  • Find a photo of a person you do not know. Write a brief bio about them.
  • Write a haiku.
  • Illustrate your grocery list.
  • List the smells in your neighborhood.
  • Give away something you love.
  • Choose an object, draw the side you can't see.
  • List all of the places you've ever lived.
  • Describe your favourite room in detail.
  • Write about your relationship with your washing machine.
  • Draw all of the things in your purse/bag.
  • List 10 things you would like to do every day.


1 comment: